Institution: Cherokee Services Group for for US Geological Survey
Location: Guam and Mariana Islands
Closing date: not provided
Cherokee Services Group (CSG) has an opening for a full-time biologist to join a research team investigating the biology, control, and containment of the invasive nocturnal Brown Treesnake (Boiga irregularis) on Guam, the Mariana Islands, and throughout the Pacific region.
The successful candidate will be provided with the unique opportunity to participate in ongoing research in a dynamic Pacific island field setting. He or she may also be trained as a member of the Rapid Response Team which could require multi-week trips to other (possibly remote) locations in search of snakes, including long hours and difficult conditions involving hot, humid and rainy inclement weather.
- Fieldwork includes the hand capture of live snakes, collection of morphological data, preparation and maintenance of materials and equipment for experiments, preparation of study sites
- Handling of live and dead animals (snake, lizards, rodents, and other vertebrates)
- Field data collection occurs both during the day and at night.
- Study site preparation will require the use of brush cutting equipment, power saws, and other equipment
- Duties also include laboratory work and care of lab animals
- The meticulous collection of field data and data entry is required while adhering to scientific and safety protocols
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Education or related field
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Applicants must be in possession of a valid passport and be able to work legally in the U.S.
- Excellent (corrected) eyesight, health and physical stamina, a strong work ethic and the ability to work on a research team are required
- Ability to walk over rough terrain, carry up to 50 lbs. of equipment, tolerance of climatic extremes in mosquito and spider infested areas while maintaining a sense of humor
- Demonstrated interest in working on a nocturnal species
- Exceptional writing and communication skills as well as the ability to produce professional quality documents
- Ability to pass an extensive background check for access to military property
Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate a strong interest in academic applied research, a background in international field research, experience with snake handling, a desire to live in the tropics, and a comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft word processing and database applications.
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Apply online at www.cherokee-csg.com to Job #10046. Applications should include an updated resume and a cover letter, including the expiration date of your passport, your date of availability, and an outline of why you feel you would be a good addition to our team.
Travel to and from Guam is paid with a one year commitment.
Cherokee Services Group provides technical support services and project support personnel to our Government and industry partners. Our highly skilled experts support and supplement the mission, expertise, and skill sets of our clients. Utilizing our customer-intimate approach, we partner with our clients to provide strategic solutions that maximize the use of human and financial resources to ensure that mission-critical projects are completed on time and within budget. It is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and sexual orientation. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click on the following two links:
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may e-mail CNB [dot] Compliance [at] cn-bus [dot] com for assistance. This email address is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the application process or status.